Monday, May 31, 2010
Roasted Beet Salad
This is an excellent summery salad. It is a very light and can be served as a side or appetizer salad. The cooking time in your oven may vary from mine as my oven doesn't seem to cook things very quickly.
2 T fresh mint, chopped
3 T fresh parsley, chopped
1/3 c feta chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
3. In a bowl of cold water or under the faucet, peel the beets.
4. Chop the ends off the beets and then cut into small chunks. Place the chopped beets in a strainer and then rinse all remaining dirt/grit off.
5. Place rinsed beets in a bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the top and grind a generous pinch of sea salt and pepper over. Stir. Arrange beets on the baking sheet.
6. Bake beets for 50 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes. (You can test the beets around 40 minutes to see if they are done. They should be tender but not mushy.)
7. Cut the ends off the orange and then the entire peel so the orange flesh is exposed. Then cut it into slices. Break the orange up over the bowl trying to remove as much of the membrane as possible, letting the juice fall into the bowl.
8. When the beets are done, let them cool to room temperature.
9. Mix the parsley, mint, orange, feta, and beets. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or chill if desired.