This salad is very high in fiber, filling and super quick to make. I served it as an appetizer but it would make a nice side served with plain fish or meat. Then I ate the leftovers with a hard boiled egg.
5-6 small-medium sized beets (with the greens/stems on)
splash extra virgin olive oil
fresh sea salt & black pepper
~ 1/4 cup mint, chopped
6 ears corn, husked and cut off the cob
splash balsamic vinegar
juice half lemon
zest 1 whole lemon
crushed hot red pepper flakes
1. Wash beets thoroughly. Peel beets and and cut greens into large pieces. Then shred beets in the food processor.
2. Cook beets in a frying pan with a splash of oil, salt and pepper over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes or until just tender.
3. Transfer beet greens, cooked beet roots, and mint to a large bowl. Toss together.
4. Pulse the onion in the food processor a few times. Saute in another splash of olive oil for about 3 minutes. Add the corn and stir. Continue to saute over medium heat until just under cooked.
5. Mix corn and onions in with beet mixture. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and zest, hot pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature or make in advance and serve chilled.