Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Healthy Sloppy Joes and Smokey Collard Greens
The collard recipe serves 5 and was adapted from this site. ww = 1 point per serving
The sloppy joe recipe serves 5 and was adapted from this site. ww = 2 points per serving (no roll)
(The whole dinner with a hamburger bun is 7 points!!!)
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup white onions (about half of a medium onion), diced
5-6 tops of baby fennel (fronds included), chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
1 cup of chicken broth (reduced sodium)
7 cups collard greens (about 1 head), coarsely chopped
dash smoked paprika
1. In a medium stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook onions and fennel until they are soft but not brown.
2. Add garlic and cook for a minute more.
3. Then add chicken broth, chipotle pepper, collard greens, and a dash of smoked paprika. Stir and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook with the lid on for about 15 minutes until the flavors come together and the collards are nice and soft. Add fresh sea salt and ground black pepper at the very end if need be.
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup onions, diced
1 tsp canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
14.5 oz can black beans, rinsed
15 oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp unpacked brown sugar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
* fat free Greek yogurt (optional)
1. In a sauce pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Then add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
2. Then add chipotle pepper, black beans, tomatoes, cumin, coriander, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir.
3. Simmer for about 7-10 minutes or until flavors come together and sauce has thickened a bit. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
4. Serve in a toasted hamburger bun with a little dollop of Greek yogurt on top if the spice is too much*!