Sunday, July 1, 2012

Low-Fat Pesto

 This is a low-fat version of pesto. It is pretty tasty considering there is no where even close to the normal amount of cheese, oil and pine nuts in it. I used Organic Better than Boullion vegetable base because it has no msg. Since this is not a low-sodium bouillion, I did not add any additional salt to the recipe. I used xanthan gum to thicken it up to produce the same consistency as regular pesto. Xanthan gum is a plant-based bacteria used as a thickener. My husband bought it from our favorite store Brooklyn Kitchen to see if he could make homemade ice cream lower in fat. So I am going to start experimenting with it as I continue on my cooking escapade. I will be serving this pesto tonight over halibut and broiled treviso.

Makes about 3/4 cup sauce.
ww points = 2 pts per 3 T

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh basil leaves, washed
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 T raw almonds, toasted
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup parmesan, finely grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 t xanthan gum

Directions:
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor (except for the xanthan gum) and pulse until well combined.
2. Gently sprinkle xanthan gum over the mixture and give a couple quick pulses. Allow the sauce to sit for a few minutes to thicken.

For storage, with normal pesto you would pour a little oil on the top before storing it in the refrigerator. Instead, I have chosen to place saran wrap directly on top of the pesto to prevent browning and minimize any additional fat being added.

No comments:

Post a Comment